Comment on page
Payment Failure Cascading
Re-attempt failed customer transactions to save checkouts
Merchants with more than one payment gateway may wish to support cascading - ie. the immediate re-attempt of a failed bankcard transaction at checkout onto a secondary gateway.
- Add one or more gateways to the group to use for charge re-attempts
- From the Gateway Details View, under Payment Flow select the box "Re-attempt declined initial charge attempts"
- Specify the Gateway Group you created
- Click Save Changes
When this setting is enabled, declined bankcard transactions will re-attempt one time only if the initial transaction attempt's decline reason code is one of the following:
- 2000 - Do Not Honor
- 2003 - Processor Declined
- 2004 - Authorization Required
- 2005 - Processing Error
- 3007 - Invalid Card
- 3011 - Merchant Error
Developers wishing to customize their decline re-attempt logic should use the following logic in their application.
Note: Re-attempting payment failures is not recommended for Hard Decline reasons are returned in an initial response. Only Soft Declines are likely to approve upon re-attempt. Your application should parse the Transaction Response Code to decide whether a charge should be re-attempted.
- 1.Upon a failed payment transaction, a
card_tokenis returned in the API response:
"payment_details": "Unable to process the purchase transaction.",
- 2.To create a secondary payment attempt (the "cascade" attempt after an initial failure), the transaction request must use
payment_method: "card_token"and pass the
card_tokenfrom the initial response.
On this secondary attempt using the card token, specify under
payment_gatewayto re-attempt the failed charge on the designated secondary gateway.